Responsibilities of a Social Media Manager
With the development in the technology world in the twenty-first century, new job opportunities that no one would have imagined decades ago, have been created. Thanks to the Internet and app developers, those skilled in digital marketing, search engine optimization, social media management, content marketing etc, are now the belles of the ball. But among all these, the hottest demand is for a social media manager.
Being a social media manager is not limited only to the management of a company or an organization’s social media platforms. Social media managers are responsible for developing and implementing marketing strategies for businesses’ social media sites. A social media manager is a marketer, brand manager and to an extent, a public relations personnel. He/She creates and implements a social media plan which involves; brand development, identifying the target market, setting clear objectives/realistic goals, visual design and web development strategy, content marketing strategy, promotion strategy, engagement strategy, conversion, and measurement & analysis to establish ROI.
As a social media manager, you should be skilled in:
- Graphic design: ability to use photoshop, text editing, PowerPoint, and excel
- Excellent written and oral communication skill
- Knowledge of HTML and website management
- must be familiar with web analytics tools and ability to use it.
- must be familiar with social media platforms and their tools
- familiar with managing blogs, discussion forums, ratings and reviews
- must be able to manage a computer both Mac and PC.
- knowledge of marketing and brand management
- content writing and development
- familiar with different advertising systems and paid promotion
- knowledge of ROI analysis, conversions, and social media key performance indicators.
- SEO and SEM knowledge.
- must be open minded and ready to learn
The following include some of the responsibilities of a social media manager:
- developing relevant contents topics for target customers or audience
- managing publish content
- monitoring, listening and responding to users in a social way (customer service)
- Promoting brand products and services via social media channels
- develop and expand community/influence outreach efforts via social media
- design, create and manage promotions and social ad campaigns.
- manage efforts in building online reviews and reputation.
- analyze key performance indicators and modify strategies if required
- compile reports for management showing Returns on Investment